Is There Money Out There With Your Name On It? Find Out Now.

money_bills_dollar_stack_7767_2560x1440There are billions of dollars in unclaimed funds available to the people who are entitled to these funds. Probably the most unclaimed funds are held by the states, but there are other places where you might discover some funds you’ve forgotten.

Some funds are unclaimed because the person left a job and forgot about accrued pension benefits, perhaps a refund check was never received, perhaps you moved and forgot to close out some funds from the bank or didn’t remember your security deposit from a rental and on and on.

There are a number of places you can check to see if you have any abandoned funds to claim.

  1. Internal Revenue Service. The IRS has a web site “Where’s My Refund”. You will need your social security number and the amount of the refund. There are hundreds of thousands of people who have refund money unclaimed. People move from their address and since they are no longer at the address their refund check was returned to the IRS.
  2. Just as you may have an unclaimed Federal refund you may have a state refund due you. Go to and click on a state. Be sure you search in any state where you ever lived.
  3. Perhaps you changed employment and didn’t collect a small amount of retirement money and then forgot about it. Check the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits. This is a non-profit organization that helps former employees locate unclaimed benefits.
  4. If you worked for a company that had a failed pension plan there still may have been benefits available from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. This corporation insures pension plans. You might start looking for an old pensions plan at Find A Trusteed Pension Plan.
  5. At missing you can look for bank accounts with unclaimed funds or utility or premium refunds owed to you or other funds you may be entitled to receive.

Studio shot of old dollar notes. Image shot 2011. Exact date unknown.6. Do you have any matured unredeemed bonds? The Treasury Department is holding billions of dollars for these bonds. The Treasury Department has a website where you can check to see if you had any of these matured bonds. Since most bonds were held for decades its easy to forget them. You will need your social security number or the social security number of the person who purchased the bonds if they were a gift to you.

7. If you had money in a bank which went under the FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) may have funds for you. The FDIC insures banks so if you did not receive your funds from a bank that folded check out the website for the FDIC.

8. When a credit union fails the National Credit Union Administration takes possession of the credit union funds. If you had money in a failed credit union check out the National Credit Union Administration website.

9. You may have some unclaimed life insurance benefits. Perhaps a relative died or perhaps you owned an insurance policy that demutualized so you are owed stock or cash. Check it out at

10. If you think you left some funds in various places start a search using a combination of the state name and unclaimed property. Unclaimed property is the term states use to designate funds it does not refer to real estate property.